Ebay vs Etsy: A Guide

So, I've been selling stuff on eBay and Etsy for a while now and I thought I had familiarized myself with the fee structures. When I looked at my eBay account and saw that the $75 sale I'd made the other day had over $5 in "Final Value Fees" taken by eBay, I was kind of mad. So I decided to take another look at the two sites' fee structures. I made a little guide:



Here are my big problems with eBay/Paypal/life.

1. The outrageous 8.75% eBay charges you on the first $20 of anything you sell. That's $1.75! That's pretty ridiculous. On Etsy, the first $20 costs you the same as the rest, 3.5%, which for $20 is only $0.70. Even on low-selling items (or especially on low-selling items), Etsy is much less expensive than eBay.
2. So say you owe $5 in Final Value fees to eBay which you will pay from your $75 sale. You can't just pay the $5 directly from that sale - it goes to Paypal first. And Paypal takes 2.9% of those $5 just like they take 2.9% of the other $70. So you're basically paying Paypal fees on your eBay fees. This is kind of like being taxed twice. Really annoying.
3. Ebay charges you a minimum of $0.35 to list an item (unless it's media) and if you want to list anything above $10, it goes up to $0.55. If it's above $25, you'll pay $1.00. You could start your item at $9.99 to save on listing fees, but there's no guarantee that you'll get the $35 you want.

The list goes on, but I'm annoyed enough already. The only good thing about eBay is the fact that more people use it so you can (MAYBE, if you're lucky) get more for your item. And that you can sell non-old stuff on it.

0 comments: