IT - Snow

Snow is one of my favorite things, and not just in real life. In art, I love how it creates a nearly monochrome palette and it's really interesting to see how different artists choose to represent it. I always think about this really great set of photos that someone had taped to the front of their locker in the photo building in college...I wish I had gotten a postcard from his show! They were all taken with snow on the ground and unless you looked carefully, you would probably think they were shot in black and white. Here are some of my favorites -




One of my favorite Hiroshige prints ever (#47, Oi River, from the Stations of the Kisokaido)...click to see it bigger, it's beautiful!


Monet, Boulevard des Capucines (also better bigger)

I can't wait until winter so I can do snow sketches...if I did it in this 94 degree heat, I'd just be sad.

0 comments: