jobs

After applying to, oh, 200+ jobs, and interviewing for 16 or so, I can safely say I really wish there were a more up-to-date and/or realistic career advice site out there. I don't know who the sites that I find are targeted to, but there are some major problems with them as I see it.

1. It's hard to find any sites that tell you how to address a cover letter when you don't know who you're sending it to. They suggest to search through the company to find the person. Newsflash, but this isn't the late 90s anymore - most people apply for jobs online and many of those jobs are completely blind applications. I almost never know what company I'm applying for until they call me back for an interview. How exactly should I find out who to address it to if I can't even find out what company it is? Not everyone is applying to a huge investment firm or something like that.
2. The suggestions for interview wear are COMPLETELY outdated. College sites say that women should a) wear hose at all times b) wear a matching skirt suit (never a business-style dress and god forbid pants!) c) carry a briefcase. Seriously? If I'm applying for a reception job at an audio production studio in Manhattan, you think I should bring a briefcase and wear hose? Once again, not everyone is trying to be an i-banker. Not many sites seem to realize this. Consider this picture -

I don't think I have seen a person wearing the "most recommended" outfit, ever, in this city. Maybe 15 years ago?
3. Out of all the "most asked questions" listed on these websites, I think I've been asked one once. Most interviews that I've been on are much more casual than the ones talked about by these websites. They usually ask me why I'm interested in the position, tell me to talk about my previous jobs, and ask if I have any questions. No "What is your worst quality?", no "How can you make our company better?", no "Describe a situation where you and your coworker disagreed and how you handled that". Once again...not everyone goes to formulaic interviews given by lawyers or something.

I mean, I guess I could be wrong since I haven't gotten a job (after the first one I applied and interviewed for, thankyouverymuch) so maybe I should look into buying one of those Star Trek-esque interview suits...Or maybe I should just start a career advice website for the "Young and Interesting" instead of the old and boring. If you can't beat them, join them?

0 comments: