Inspiration Tuesdays - Ivan Bilibin

I'm kind of obsessed with Mr. Bilibin. He was a Russian illustrator from the late 19th/early 20th century and is most famous for his illustrations of Russian fairy tales. I love all the patterns mixed with blocks of color - his stuff is a bit of a precursor to some 60s art, like Peter Max's work and Yellow Submarine, both of which I've always liked. He was influenced by contemporary Japanese artists like Hokusai, which is pretty evident, especially in the landscapes, and I love Hokusai! Plus, I can't not like fairy tale illustrations (my overactive imagination means I love fantasy stories), especially with all of the great folk art details. I'm waiting until I have a Friday evening free to go to the Folk Art Museum here!





1 comments:

Carl said...

I have been admiring Bilibin's work lately and find it completely spellbinding and hypnotic. It has inspired me to start drawing again.
Thanks for the beautiful pictures.